What should be readily apparent by now is that our neighbors to the north in Eastern Kentucky are in the midst of an abject catastrophe after storms last week caused record rainfall followed by record flooding.
And the rain still hasn’t stopped; some areas were flooded again on Monday.
Roads are washed out, still under water or blocked by mudslides and/or downed trees. As of this writing, the confirmed death toll has risen to 37 with hundreds of people still unaccounted for. The devastation really can’t be overstated.
A local group is collecting supplies on Wednesday, August 3, at The Birdhouse in the Fourth & Gill neighborhood. A collection this past weekend, on short notice, has already made its way to a drop-off location in Berea, Kentucky.
Anyone with items to donate can leave them on the front porch from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. A volunteer will be there to collect them. Following is a list of requested items from boots on the ground in Kentucky. They are asking for NO additional donations of clothing at this time:
- Bottled water and disposable eating utensils and plates
- Non-perishable food items (if canned goods, those with pop-tops that don’t require cooking are the better option)
- Manual can openers, flashlights/camp lights, batteries, lighters/fire starters, scissors
- Cleaning supplies, including squeegees, mops, shovels, buckets, sponges, bleach and other disinfectants plus wipes, drum liner trash bags, paper towels, etc.
- Personal hygiene items such as wash cloths, towels, bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, lotion, toothpaste, tooth brushes, diapers and other baby supplies as well as feminine hygiene items
- Medical supplies like first aid kits, rubbing alcohol, betadine and other disinfectants, gauze, wraps, masks, hand sanitizer
- Pet food and supplies for dogs and cats
- Gas cards, credit gift cards such as Visa/Mastercard
Supplies will be taken directly to volunteer distribution centers in Kentucky. The Birdhouse is located at 800 N. 4th Avenue, 37917. For more information go here. If unable to bring supplies, please consider a donation to one of these verified organizations: