Knox County Master Gardeners say it’s time to get started in the garden. Brrrr!
Two sessions of two different gardening classes are scheduled in February at four sites.
Master Gardeners Vickie Smith and Marsha Lehman will lead “Stop Crape Murder: Proper Pruning of Woody Plants and Trees in Late Winter” 1:30-2:30 p.m. this Saturday, Feb. 2, at the Bearden Branch Library and 11 a.m.-noon Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the Karns Senior Center.
Smith and Lehman will teach attendees which woody plants and trees can be pruned now, as well as the tools and best practices in pruning.
Master Gardeners Lynn Carlson and Jean Hess want you to “Arrest Those Weeds – NOW!” Apparently, it’s not too early to police your gardens for those pesky weeds. Carlson and Hess will share ways to identify and control those menaces in the lettuce. They encourage attendees to bring in a culprit that needs to be identified.
The weed training is 10:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, at the Cedar Bluff Branch Library and 1-2 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, at the Davis Family YMCA.
All events are free and open to the public. No registration is required; seating is first come, first served.
2019 classes will be held from February through October at the four regular venues listed below. Also listed are links with exciting gardening information and proven practices. The new Knox County Master Gardeners website offers up-to-the-minute announcements and general information.
Venue list and contact information
- Bearden Branch Library, 100 Golfclub Road, Knoxville, TN 37919, phone 865- 588-8813 (first Saturday, except 7/13)
- Cedar Bluff Branch Library, 9045 Cross Park Drive, Knoxville, TN 37923, phone 865-470-7033 (second Saturday)
- Davis Family YMCA, 12133 S. Northshore Drive, Knoxville, TN 37922, phone 865-777-9622 (third Monday)
- Karns Senior Center, 8042 Oak Ridge Highway, Knoxville, TN 37931, phone 865-951-2653 (fourth Tuesday, except 5/21)
- Knox County Extension Master Gardeners web page
- Knox County Master Gardeners Facebook page
- For gardening questions, call Ask-A-Master-Gardener at the Knox County Extension office, 865-215-2340
- UT Gardens, 2518 Jacob Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996