Why wait? Start those healthy-habit resolutions on Jan. 1 at the New Year’s Day Open House at the West Side Y.
West Side Y has undergone extensive renovation and will unveil the completion of Phase I Construction at the Open House, said program director Bekah Grace. “We have a day of fun planned for the whole family. We’ll have lap swim and free swim, classes and activity demos on our new equipment, along with tours of our new spaces.”
West Side Y is at 400 Winston Road, adjacent to John Bynon Park on the Jean Teague Greenway. The holiday opening will be regular hours – 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Special classes are reserved for Y members only, but other classes, activities and facility passes will be free to all.
“Guests are welcome to try our new bikes outside of designated class times or during our 1-6 p.m. Spin Party,” said Grace. The Spin Party will show off the new exercise bikes with instructor-led demonstrations at 6 p.m.
The enrollment fee will be waived for anyone who joins the Y during the Open House.
“If you’ve never been a part of the Y, we’d like to invite you to join our Y family,” said Grace. “Find a supportive staff who is here to help you work toward your fitness goals all year long.”
Membership benefits include free group exercise classes, free child watch while you work out, free personalized workouts on each visit with ActivTrax and more.
Here’s the New Year’s Day Open House schedule:
Child Watch available all day – 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the brand-new Child Watch space.
- 9 a.m. – Emile Petrone Family Child Watch Center ribbon cutting
- 10 a.m. – Spin class in the Spin Studio
- 10 a.m. – Zumba in the Gym Studio
- 10:30 a.m. – Yoga in the Aerobics Studio
- 11:05 a.m. – Barre Basics (a new class) in the Aerobics Studio
- 11:30 a.m. – Spin class in the Spin Studio
- Noon – Youth Agility & Drills (a new class) in the Gym Studio
- Noon to 2 p.m. – MOSSA Launch Party in Aerobics Studio (Defend Together, Strength Train Together, Core Focus)
- 1 p.m. – Water aerobics at the pool
- 1 p.m. – PowerUp Fitness for Kids in the Gym Studio
- 1-6 p.m. – Spin Party in the Spin Studio (demos and ride time on the brand-new spin bikes)
- 2-4 p.m. – Aqua Fit for Kids at the pool
- 5 p.m. – Tabata in the Gym Studio
- 5 p.m. – PowerUp Fitness for Kids in the Aerobics Studio
- 6 p.m. – Spin class in the Spin Studio
- 6 p.m. – Water aerobics at the pool
- 6 p.m. to close – The entire family can enjoy basketball and splash ball (water polo) with goals available. Also, check out the new hardwood floors in the basketball court.