School’s out and Memorial Day weekend is over. That can only mean it’s summertime (unofficially albeit!) It’s the perfect time to slow down and pick up a good book just for the fun of it. But earning a good prize is bonus.
This year’s summer reading challenge is full of great programs and great prizes for all ages. All you have to do is read a little bit every day for a total of 36 hours by August 5. Keep track of your hours on the Beanstack Tracker App or pick up a print log at any library location.
We have lots of programs to keep you coming back. Thanks to support from Friends of the Library, we are offering featured programs all summer Long:
- Sizzling Science with Dr. Al Hazari: The former UT chemistry professor dons his colorful lab coat and goggles to share the wonder of science.
- The Hominy Mamas: This folk duo uses stories and songs to weave together interactive performances feature traditional songs played on everything from the guitar and banjo to washboard and kazoo.
- Magic with Michael Messing: Abra-cadbra! Our favorite magician extraordinaire is back with his crowd-pleasing blend of illusion and humor
- Shakespeare for Kids: The Tennessee Stage Company presents interactive, kid-friendly, abridged introductions to Shakespeare, his work and the 400th anniversary of his First Folio in 1623.
- Zoo Knoxville’s Zoo Mobile: Meet some furry, slithery or feathery ambassadors! Cute creatures all!
But that’s not all! Check out our online calendar for more events. You can learn American Sign Language, or take up Karaoke, join a book club, or take a walking tour with Laura Still. There’s something for everyone.
Mary Pom Claiborne is assistant director for marketing, communications and development for Knox County Public Library