Wildflower Report – West Prong Trail (B-E) – 11 September 2023
- Blue/purple Asters – Few – Just starting to bloom.
- Cardinal Flower – (8) – Beside the parking lot at the trailhead.
- Erect Golden Rod – Many – Mostly past peak bloom. Also some other varieties of Golden Rod.
- False Fox Glove – Some – At peak bloom – very colorful & vivid.
- Great Lobelia – Some – Close to peak bloom (last half mile before Bote Mt. Trail) – Very nice!
- Hearts-a-busting – Some – Photo is of the wine-colored pods.
- Pale Jewelweed – Some – At or just beyond peak bloom.
- Pinesap – Some – At peak bloom (better blooms than the ones found last week on Lumber Ridge Trail
- Red Clover – Few – On the Bote Mt. Trail at the junction with West Prong Trail.
- Southern Harebell – Some – Past peak but dainty blooms are delightful.
- White Snake Root – Many – In the early stages of the blooming cycle.
- White Top Aster – Many – Approaching peak bloom.
- Wild Golden Glow – (4) – Beside the parking lot at the trailhead.
False Fox Glove
Tom Harrington is a regular hiker who reports on wildflowers in the Smokies.