Art experiences, “ooey gooey” science, fairy tale STEAM and Olympic adventures will be among Imagination Station Summer Camps for rising kindergarten through second graders at the Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge. Superheroes, Pokémon, a garden club, Latin America, and the Secret City will be topics explored by campers entering third through fifth grades.
Weekly camps will be offered from June 7-July 23, with options of morning, afternoon, or all-day camps. Fees for a single morning or afternoon camp are $115 for members and $135 for non-members. A same week discount, for a single child registering for all-day camp or for two siblings registering for a half-day camp in the same week, is $190 for members and $220 for non-members.
To provide more room for social distancing in light of Covid-19, camps will be smaller, with each class limited to 10 campers. Campers and staff will be expected to wear a mask. These precautions will help CMOR provide the safest experience possible.
Register and pay for camps online, at here or by mail or in person, at 461 West Outer Dr., Oak Ridge 37830. Camp fees are fully refundable up until 14 days before the start date. For more information, call the museum at 865-482-1074 and leave a message, or email here.
Camps for children rising into grades K-2 are:
- Crime Scene Detectives, June 7-11, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will collect fingerprints, extract DNA from strawberries, study footprints and try other crime scene tools.
- Art 1-2-3! June 7-11, 1-4 p.m. Campers will use math to explore famous pieces of art, as they play with shapes and patterns and create art of their own.
- Find Your Habitat, June 14-18, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will use, clay, pastels, paint and more to make art with inspiration from the natural world.
- Art Explorers, June 14-18, 1-4 p.m. Campers will explore the works of great artists, creating fun pieces of their own art.
- Catch ‘Em All, June 21-25, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will create Pokémon trading cards and Pokémon-themed works of art and snacks.
- All About Me, June 21-25, 1-4 p.m. Campers will create a shadow self-portrait, paint an abstract family portrait, make a heart map, construct a vision board, and more.
- Ooey Gooey Science, June 28-July 2, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will explore the messy side of science, making sticky, fluffy, slimy, and fizzy creations. (This camp is full, but a wait list is available.)
- Fairy Tale STEAM, June 28-July 2, 1-4 p.m. Campers will use STEAM skills to create a castle for Aladdin, design boots for Puss, and make fairy tale-inspired art. (This camp is full, but a wait list is available.)
- Garden Sprouts, July 5-9, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will play in the Kids Go Green! Environmental Learning Center as they learn about plants and grow one of their own.
- May the Force be with You, July 5-9, 1-4 p.m. Campers will bake Star Wars-themed food, perform science experiments, and create baby Yoda art.
- Superhero Science, July 12-16, 9 a.m.-noon. Superheroes will design costumes, call on science for crime fighting skills, navigate a superhero obstacle course, and more.
- Crayon Magic, July 12-16, 1-4 p.m. Campers will scribble, melt, sculpt, and more while creating art with crayons.
- Kingdoms of Life, July 19-23, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will learn about the six kingdoms of life, from tiny bacteria to giant elephants, and create some amazing art projects.
- Go for the Gold! July 19-23, 1-4 p.m. Campers will create Olympic-themed art, compete in Olympic-style events, and more.
Camps for children rising into grades 3-5 are:
- Kids in Action Garden Club, June 7-11, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will prepare and plant a garden bed while exploring nature and the wonders of gardening.
- Recycle Your World, June 7-11, 1-4 p.m. Campers will turn trash into treasure as they use found objects to create wonderful works of art.
- Amazing Art, June 14-18, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will explore the amazing art and lives of five artists while learning new art techniques.
- ꜟExplora América Latina! June 14-18, 1-4 p.m. Campers will explore the food, culture, geography, art, and music of Latin America.
- Secrets of the Secret City, June 21-25, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will experience 1940s Oak Ridge as they play games, dance to ‘40s music, and explore science behind the secret.
- Pokémon Master, June 21-25, 1-4 p.m. Campers will draw, paint, and sculpt with origami, clay and more, as they invent new Pokémon and play and trade cards.
- Fantastic Forces, June 28-July 2, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will explore gravity, magnetism, friction, tension, and springs as they engineer devices, play games, and create art.
- Eco-Explorers, June 28-July 2, 1-4 p.m. Campers will study ecosystems and how animals behave in them, exploring plant life outside the museum, creating art, and more.
- This is the Way, July 5-9, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will train with Light Sabers, create Mandalorian armor, make out-of-this-world art, and master the Way of the Jedi.
- Fantastic Fibers, July 5-9, 1-4 p.m. Campers will create art while exploring different fibers and learning weaving, sewing and pottery.
- Body Detectives, July 12-16, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will learn how the heart pumps blood, sculpt a brain model, build an interactive model of lungs, and more.
- Superhero Academy, July 12-16, 1-4 p.m. Campers’ adventures will include designing a shield like Captain America’s and practicing with Wonder Woman’s Lasso of Truth.
- Faster-Higher-Stronger, July 19-23, 9 a.m.-noon. Campers will prepare for the Summer Olympics, creating glittering metals, designing Olympic-style competitions, and more.
- Ink It! July 19-23, 1-4 p.m. Campers will use paints, inks, stamps, carvings, found objects and nature to create prints and explore mixed media methods and printmaking tools.
Go here for more info on the Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge.